Tips to get 10,000 Steps a Day – Fitness experts say that the minimum number of steps you should walk everyday is 10,000 steps.
So how does one get 10,000 Steps a Day? New York City is obviously a walking city, but even New Yorkers can plateau, when it comes to walking and most days, hitting the 10,000 steps a day is super easy but like me if you work from home or the office, sometimes it’s not easy to get those 10,000 Steps a Day.
I know everyone can’t get to the gym everyday or even can afford it these days but as they say, walking is free, so here are 15 tips to increase the number of steps you walk every day to get 10,000 Steps a Day.
1. Keep a journal and track your daily increase. Remember the goal is 10,000 steps a day. I love my journal to keep track.
Increasing Steps at Work
2. Go for walk at lunch time and on your breaks. Set a reminder on your calendar to take your walk.
3. Replace a coffee break with a brisk 10 minute walk, don’t want to go alone, ask a co-worker to go with you.
4. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, even if you work in a 3 story building you can take the stairs.
5. Find a new restroom, copy machine or water fountain on another floor or even the other side of the floor.
6. Get off the bus, subway or train blocks before your stop and walk the rest of the way home/work.
7. Park your car as far away from your company entrance.
8. Try a new walking route from work or home to add variety to your daily walk.
Increasing Steps at Home
9. Wake up half an hour early and go for a walk.
10. Stand up an march in place or walk around during commercials.
11. Have someone hide the remote and walk to the TV to change channels.
12. After dinner, take a walk around the neighborhood. Bring your spouse and/or kids, it’s a great time to reconnect and bond.
13. If you are going to dinner, park far away or leave early and take a longer route to get there.
14. Visit and walk local trails, the mall, farmers market or museums.
15. Treat yourself to a fitness tracker such as Fit Bit or Apple Watch to track your steps. I love my Apple Watch because it prompts me if I have been sitting too long and to breath. Hey, breathing correctly is important for one’s health.
Besides walking, we have some tips on how to stay healthy during your vacation.
Do you have a tip to make your 10,000 daily steps?
Disclosure: NYC Single Mom was not compensated for this post. This post contains affiliate links.