Tis the season for Sneezing and Sniffling which no one is looking forward. I don’t know about you but back in the day, when I got sick, it was one and done meaning, it was over in 24-48 hours. Not anymore. That has changed and I think that is the case for most people in that it can take anywhere from a week to ten days before one gets back to their normal, healthy safe. So we need to think ahead to try, as best we can to fight off Colds and the Flu.
10 Easy Ways to Fight Off Colds and The Flu
- Rest: Having a slightly less hectic day just won’t cut it. Your body needs lots of rest. Drop the laptop, skip the happy hour and forget the chores. Save your energy so your body can fight the cold. Try to get 8 hours of sleep everyday.
- Drink Plenty of Fluids: Drinking fluids will help loosen congestion and keep you hydrated. You’ll need more fluids than usual so keep a fresh cup of tea, bottles of water or a favorite juice handy at all times. It may not be the best remedy but I am a big fan of diet ginger ale!!
- Add Honey To Your Diet: Honey is an immune system builder because it has antioxidants to help fight disease. Drop a teaspoon of honey in your tea or try a tea or juice with honey already added. A great option is one of Honeydrop Beverages Lemon Honey Ginger tea. It contains 100% Vitamin C and is void of all refined or artificial sweeteners. A favorite of ours is Nature’s Nate honey.
- Use a Compress: Hot or cold compresses work great for relieving sinus pressure. Make your own with a microwaved damp washcloth (50 seconds does the trick) or use a pack of frozen veggies.
- Take a Hot Shower: The warm steam will moisturize your nasal passages to making breathing easier and more comfortable. Plus, a hot shower will relax you.
- Blow Your Nose Correctly: It’s not just about “getting the gunk out”. Blowing too hard can rupture an eardrum or cause an earache. To make sure you are blowing your nose correctly, hold one finger over one nostril and gently blow.
- Wash Your Hands Often: During cold season, it’s not enough to just squeeze in a hand washing before exiting the restroom. Wash your hands before meals, after blowing your nose, after making contact with others and after leaving public areas. Don’t forget to clean under your fingernails too! Lots of germs get stuck there. We love Method hand soap.
- Replace Your Toothbrush: Your toothbrush can be a breeding ground for germs so while cold season is in full swing replace your toothbrush monthly. After a cold, immediately toss that germy toothbrush for a fresh start!
- Keep Stress in Check: Your body will have a much easier time fighting off a winter cold without stress weighing you down. Eliminate stressful activities from your schedule and make time for things that relax and calm you. Yoga, reading, watching a comedy and listening to peaceful music are all great options.
- Get Some Sun: Without sunlight, Vitamin D levels drop significantly in your body, which reduces immunity. If you cannot get a daily dose of sun, try Vitamin D pills as a substitute.
Do you have a tip we can use to avoid getting the cold or flu?
Disclosure: NYC Single Mom was not compensated for this post.The post contains affiliate links.